On the evening of March 6, 1836, General Antonio López de Santa Anna ordered soldiers to light three funeral pyres on which rested the Alamo’s defenders. The fires burned through the night and into the next day while the bodies of the men of the Alamo’s garrison were reduced to ashes. On February 25, 1837, nearly a year to the date of the epic battle, Colonel Juan N. Seguín and his battalion returned to San Antonio. The Tejano leader instructed his men to gather the ashes of their fallen comrades and ordered a memorial service held in their honor.
On the evening of March 6, 2016, a brief ceremony will take place in front of the Alamo Church commemorating the lighting of the funeral pyres of the Alamo defenders. The event, scheduled for 6 p.m., is open to the public.